In continuation to my last post where I discussed what are the roles of the teams in Agile process , here I am going to discuss how agile helps in software development . Also how to actually start with agile software development.
The process focuses that there should be continuous interaction between team members. There are several terms which one should know before getting the knowledge of process.
Sprint This is an iteration where in all development , testing , discussions happens . It is of fixed time like 1 week , 2 weeks, 3weeks, etc . It has specific goal to achieve that depends on the scope of sprint.
Back log This has all the stories that are to be included in the future sprints or releases.
Sprint Tasks Each story is further divided into small tasks . These tasks can be of any number and format.
Story point Each story is calculated depending upon its complexity , time taken to do it , etc , And this is added to each story as a story point of it. Story points are always given to stories in Fibonacci series pattern , 0,1,1,2,3,5,8,…
Sprint velocity For each Sprint a total calculation of story points as a whole determines the velocity of that Sprint.
This process has to drive by various meetings ,lets discuss them.
1. . Sprint Planning All the stories are traversed in the back log and some stories according to the priorities of stories are taken in to consideration. Here all team member estimates the stories and give story points to each story.
2. Sprint – Daily stand ups In this each team member has to state three details of them :
- What he/she has done yesterday
- What he is planning to do
- What is he doing. Or any blocker if he/she is facing any.
3. Scrum of scrums In this each team’s Scrum Master collaborate to get an update of each team.
4. Sprint review : This is the demonstration part where each team shows the work they have done with in this sprint . It takes place at the end of each sprint.
5. Sprint retrospective : This is the open space where team talks on 3 areas:
- What went well
- Point to Improve
- Action Items.
This happens after the Sprint Retrospective and before the demo of next sprint.
This is a process in which we can directly call BA with in and outside the team , We can manage frequent calls to PO for better understanding of product . We can pair with User Acceptance Team for testing and thinking bigger as a customer perspective.
So all in all , unlike traditional models this approach have more interaction , more team work , closer picture of end product and a lot more.